Albuquerque Speedway Karting Forum Index Albuquerque Speedway Karting
ASK tries to keep this a user friendly site. The site management team can and will delete or ban any posts or users deemed non-constructive.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Animals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albuquerque Speedway Karting Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Kruse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Animals Reply with quote

The flathead is dead! Animals will eat it alive and everywhere else people are done with the flatty.

Fact: 8.7hp stock Animal on gas with header, fuel pump, carb kit, guard, carb linkage and luggage rack is only.....$679.

Same hp as the best built flatties for a third of the money. This will revive karting!

Don
integrityracing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don

8.7 Hp thats lower that my flatty. I have a flat head pushing 11.5 hp.

Jimmy
Don Kruse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jimmy:

If that is the case then there probably wouldn't be a problem mixing them in with the Flatties to make for bigger kart counts, right?

The point is; many members and non-members of the karting community need a low cost entry into karting. The Briggs started many years ago as the affordable entry level karting venue. Through the years the sanctioning bodies have not done a good job at keeping an affordable entry level racing format in the forfront. It is evident by the declining kart counts here, there and everywhere. Families and persons wanting to race see it as an all to expensive hobbie for the budget. Karting needs cheap entry-level racing to grow.

The Animal is the answer. Powerful enough BOX STOCK to be fun and exciting, yet affordable enough to attract new blood. Another benefit of a BOX STOCK Animal format is the path to blue-printed modified classes as the racers become more experienced, without having to re-invest in the motor package. At $679 for a new Animal package a brand new complete kart could be put on the track for near $3k. Used packages could be at the low-end and still be competitive.

I believe the children's classes should be restricted to BOX STOCK packages. This would eliminate the run-away investments nessessary to be competative. Once the kids become Jr2 age have at it. Take the BOX STOCKER and jump right into the Super Jr2 Midnight Special classes and let them run.

JMHO,
Don
Don Kruse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an example:

Box Stock Package
Animal Engine (Generation IV)
Noram clutch
Exhaust pipe
Air Filter
Fuel filter'
Fuel Lines
Pulse Fitting
Chain Guard
Recoil Starter
Total $659.95

http://www.fastermotors.net/MOTORDETAILS.html

DK
BedRock Racing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The animal isn't running worth a crap as of yet, it hasn't proved itself enough. There are many other options "Engines & not 2 Smokers" out there if IKF and other sanctions would just OPEN their eyes instead of trying to please Briggs. There are tons of places people have bought animals and the flatties still are the motor of choice due to so many changes in such a little time the animal has been out.
Don I don't disagree with that there needs to be a cheaper way for new racers to get involved with out have to fork over big money. This also includes, Not having to use Big Name Engine builders to do your work or You won't be competitive at National Races. Sorry but that is a load of Crap.
Maybe just maybe down the road someone will pull there head out of briggs & stratons brown eye and look at it from the little guys stand point.
Doc
Oh yeah Flatties aren't dead and won't be for quite awhile yet. Also the animal was made to make tree huggers happy, once you do all of the modes to them to make them run good you better hide it from the EPA tree huggers cause they ain't gonna like it. LOL
Just my opinion and voices from across the US.
BedRock Racing #22
EMP Member
Semper Fi
If the Kart is Spinning, don't worry I'm just pracitcing my Victory Celebration that will come someday!
karter43

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by karter43 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
integrityracing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to bobs 4 cycle forum you will find a lot of mixed opinons about the animal vs flathead. Yes all 4 cycle racers will have to move to the animal but like Cory said they are very tempermental, they either run or they dont.

A $1.50 part kept us from running the animal in the state championship last year.

Briggs needs to improve the carb then maybe the animal will be the way to go, but for now there are a lot of flatheads out there and I dont see them dieing tomorrow or the next, but 3 to 4 years they will all be gone.
Don Kruse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracks back east are embracing CLONE classes as affordable entry to karting. The problem I see with is the cheating aspect. The more different engines the less control.

As far as the carb problems go - they are being overcome all over the nation. The Animal is not that new. It has been out for about five years and is a natual progression in the sport.

My feelings are to put the Animal and Flathead together and let the market place do it's job. Unfortunately the IKF is not willing to pull the trigger.

DK
karter43

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often do you guys clean the methanol out of your flat heads Question
integrityracing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a race night the next day we wash and start them to heat up the oil, as there running we start draining the fuel and let it run until its just about to die and then spray WD-40 down in the carb. Drain the oil and wait until the next race.

Simple anwser: we drain it the next day, we dont let it sit in the tank.
karter43

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan, probably better than gasoline to displace the methanol.
Don Kruse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on subject boys. The IKF and ASK need more affordable entry level classes for begineers that won't obsolete their equipment when they want to move up to more competative classes. The BOX STOCK Animal will be the answer. Like it or not B&S has the market cornered and the other manufactures are on the outside looking in.

DK
karter43

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you enforce "box stock" Question
Don Kruse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pill draw on any specific item every race top three. Just like it should be now.

DK
Don Kruse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read through the entire 4-cycle speedway class structure and the 4-cycle tech sections looking for a solution to the high cost of competetive engine investment. There really is no solution the way the rules are written from the IKF. BOX STOCK classes are not accomodated any way shape or form. You are going to invest 12 to 15 hundred for a new Flattie or 10 to 15 for an Animal. Pretty much the same either way. Unfortunate.

It would nice to here some comments from other folks regarding this. How can we get more people involved in karting?

DK
Don Kruse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from 4-Cycle.Com in the Track Anouncements area. It is from Lososki Track in MO.

Starting the 2008 season we will be introducing the 6.5 HP, 196cc overhead valve Blue motor. We are striving to find a way to make go kart racing fun and affordable for everyone.
When you come to Laoski Speedway for a fun night of racing. We will furnish you with a motor - RACE READY ! This motor will come equipped with a quick hook-up throttle cable and a spec pipe.
You must run a shoe type cluctch with a 15 tooth driver. Noram; MaqTorque or Premiere are a few of the shoe types. These clutches normally cost between $20.00 & $55.00. You may use any gear with a No. 35 chain only.

Classes will:

Rookie / 5 - 7 yrs. old / 210 lbs. restricted
Junior 1 / 8 - 11 yrs. old / 260 lbs. restricted
Junior 2 / 12-14 yrs. old / 320 lbs. restricted
St. Medium / 14 & up / 345 lbs
St. Heavy / 14 & up / 370 lbs.
St. Super Hvy / 14 & up / 395 lbs.*

*driver must weigh 200 lbs. in driving appearel

For more information call 660-232-0649
chill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We love our Jr. 1 Animal and have put it out there with Austin's super Jr.II and was impressed that once they were up to speed the Animal didn't lose much ground. Take a look at what AKA in Arizona is doing by combining the Animals with Flatheads with weight restrictions. Very competitive. Bernie over there in Arizona believes in them so much he has invested in an inexpensive rental program for the racers over there. Bernie, does that offer apply in New Mexico Too? Animals are the way to go and they do not run crappy at all. The only way the Flattie will die out any time soon will be parts availability or by being pushed out by the karting sanctioning bodies and or local club rules. JMHO

There is a fine line between fun and stitches!
Don Kruse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should have LOCAL OPTION 206 class and let the clones run in the same class. Max 206cc on gas, stock. Claim rule set to the cost +$35 freight of a new 206.

This will give people a cheap entry to karting.

Personally I would buy a 206. 206 would provide a path to the IKF Stock classes.

DK
BedRock Racing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be up for this next year! I'm gonna try the 2 stroke thing hard core this year.
Doc Twisted Evil
BedRock Racing #22
EMP Member
Semper Fi
If the Kart is Spinning, don't worry I'm just pracitcing my Victory Celebration that will come someday!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albuquerque Speedway Karting Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: