Albuquerque Speedway Karting Forum Index Albuquerque Speedway Karting
ASK tries to keep this a user friendly site. The site management team can and will delete or ban any posts or users deemed non-constructive.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Animals vs. Flatheads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albuquerque Speedway Karting Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HMS30

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Animals vs. Flatheads Reply with quote

What were the lap times like for the main in the Stock Medium Class?

Just trying to get another data point as our tracks try to figure out what to do with these two classes.
Driver Adult Kart #30 (Animal, Restricted Animal, Flathead)
Crew Chief Jr 2 Kart #18
integrityracing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know, I will have to look at the tack and see. I'll post it tomorrow.

Jimmy
integrityracing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff

Some of the lap time in the stock medium class that my son had were 13.3's 13.4's and his best was a 13'2

What were the animal times

Jimmy
HMS30

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I figured....

My best time was 13.5, but the #47 ran a 13.4. My times ranged from 13.55-13.60. We were all running the heavy class at 360#, but were crossing the scales around 375#. I was having a tough time turning my kart. Freeing my kart up probably would have knocked a tenth or two off the times.

The #33 in Super Jr 2 ran in the 13.4's at 325#.

It seems that both at AKA in Phoenix and Caplin a 25# weight break puts the two engines on level playing fields. The stock medium karts at AKA consistently run times equal with the Stock Animal Heavy division.

AKA is working on an official way to begin blending animals and flatheads. I'm not sure how long IKF will hold out on combining them.

I think in order for tracks to grow, they will have to have a plan for newcommers to run the animal engine (in the 4 cycle classes). I've heard from a few national engine builders that flywheels are already in short supply and other parts are taking longer to get. The cost of a flathead will only keep going higher. It just doesn't make sense to pay $400-500 more for a new flathead anymore.

I know I would have raced a lot more in Tucson and visited ASK more often had they had a combined 4 cycle class with weight breaks to keep them equal.

What do you think Jimmy?
Crew Chief Jr 2 Kart #18
integrityracing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff

As far as combining Animals and Flatheads with animals having a 25# weight difference for local shows would be fine to draw in more racers, but to make it an offical class that would have to be brought up to IKF. I know that IKF droped the Super JR II class from the national this year and add JR I Animal light and heavy and JR II Animal light and heavy.

We need more input from others that race these two motors. I hate seeing the flatheads go away, simply because of the trouble we with the animal Saturday night. We must of taken that carb off 20 times, and still couldnt get the thing to run.

Jimmy
HMS30

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy:

I hear ya on the carb problems. We've run flathead engines for almost 3 years now and never had a carb problem and have had very few overall problems with them. I've lost track how many times I've had carb problems in the 1 1/2 years I've run the animal, not to mention how many times I've messed up the valve lash. (DISCLAIMER: I am probably one of the least mechanical people in the history of karting.)

I guess the real question is what is IKF going to do officially with the flatheads and animals. Flatheads still have more participants, but the number of jr racers with an animal seems to be growing at the national shows.

These aren't problems we'll solve today, but I'd be interested in hearing what IKF and ASK are planning on doing next year so that we can make plans.

Thanks!
Crew Chief Jr 2 Kart #18
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albuquerque Speedway Karting Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: