Albuquerque Speedway Karting Forum Index Albuquerque Speedway Karting
ASK tries to keep this a user friendly site. The site management team can and will delete or ban any posts or users deemed non-constructive.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ASK - New Mexico State Championships
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albuquerque Speedway Karting Forum Index -> IKF/Local Informational Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HMS30

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so far it looks like Dennis Smith (the NM one) & Cory have lured in the following AZ drivers:

3 Animals
2 Jr 1-4's
1 Stock Medium
1 Super Jr 2

I've heard there are KT's coming as well, but not sure how many. We're also working on a few more people that are on the fence right now.

We're looking forward to our visit.
integrityracing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were talking about the Aug 18 IKF race right, not this weekend? Thats the date we have for the New Mexico State Championship. With what is coming there will be some exciting racing.

Jimmy
HMS30

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right! The IKF race on August 18.
Driver Adult Kart #30 (Animal, Restricted Animal, Flathead)
Crew Chief Jr 2 Kart #18
integrityracing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son will be racing in the Animal and Stock Med class. This should be fun. See you when you get here.

Jimmy
madbrad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there a couple of jr1-4 out of amarillo thinking about coming out. should know for sure after there big race next weekend. we are also thinking about it. we haven't had the 2 smoker on a kart since last year. i'm pretty sure andrew would like to see some friends out there.

Brad

ps i think the OK pan handle is 4a, the rest of the stae is 4b. doesn't matter to us, going to either(located in SW OK ) is 8 + hours of driving. sure wish the 2 days shows would come back hint hint Wink
HMS30

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were planning on doing the entire regional series with our 3 karts until we saw the schedule......bring back the 2 day events and you might get more karts next year (hint, hint) Wink
Crew Chief Jr 2 Kart #18
karter43

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by karter43 on Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
leighanndons

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about volunteer capacity. When you have only, like 8 volunteers total, it wears them out to put on 2 back-to-back shows. More volunteers, more likelihood of 2-day shows next year.

Leigh Ann
Dave Wells

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also issues like racing on Sundays, being old, taking 2 days to recover from one race night let alone two and Sunday Night Baseball on TV.
leighanndons

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that too. But there's nothing there that can be fixed by throwing extra volunteers at it. Cool
BedRock Racing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok if you look to the other regions, pretty much all of them run 2 day shows. although they have more tracks, but if AZ was to become IKF we would have to have a 2 day show. If you can't race on certain days thats your bad, and being old is no excuse. My opionion but come on if you want to race it's a dedication not a part time deal. My girlfriend told me at the beggining of the season, well I'm a race widow for the next 6 months.
BedRock Racing #22
EMP Member
Semper Fi
If the Kart is Spinning, don't worry I'm just pracitcing my Victory Celebration that will come someday!
leighanndons

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, it was the decision of the board when we were meeting every Saturday at noon at Dave's house. And then we brought the schedule we made up to the members in the November or December meeting - actually, I believe it was the meeting when we first met you - and it was approved by the members.

When the new board is elected at the end of this year it will be one of things that can be discussed. I see both points of view and personally I'm fine with either. So...maybe next year's schedule will be chocked full of 2 day events. But we can't forget the burn-out factor of the volunteers out there...these are the people who are NOT racing, and not quite as hyped up to be out there.

But man, Doc, your enthusiasm is awesome. I would LOVE to see you on the board next year. I think you could do some pretty cool things.
BedRock Racing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that when I was in the military we asked to do all kinds of things on our off time, ie volunteering. Have we ever thought of asking or finding out on if any one would be interested in helping at the track. I know that there is race fans on base that are younger that would love to help out just to get off base and have something to do. Just a thougt
Doc
BedRock Racing #22
EMP Member
Semper Fi
If the Kart is Spinning, don't worry I'm just pracitcing my Victory Celebration that will come someday!
Dave Wells

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the youth drivers that keeps this club alive. Count how many drivers would be at a race if no juniors showed up. Have you noticed almost none of the parents race. That's because they are dedicated to their kids and not just part time. Come talk to me in about 20 years and we'll pull the dipstick of your enthusiasm and see if you're a quart or two low. There is much more to life than racing. Those little things like family, friends, faith, and service to others are just some of the reasons life is worth living. We choose to share some of life's precious time with the sport. I'll prepare my family to do what is necessary to bring joy to their lives and not temporary happiness. To a team that hasn't totally decided to remain in the sport next year, I guess the eventual decision will be "my bad."
BedRock Racing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much more to life than racing, huh last time I checked racing is a family, friends and faith. Your right for a lot of people there is other things, but for some it is what we look forward to. I talked to several people today, most of them were about race tomorrow. How did I meet them thru the track, to a lot of people the track and racing are there second religion, there social event of the week and there family. I wish that I could have my kids here so that I could teach them the racing spirit that has lived in many people for a long time, but unfortanutly that is not possible for me. When it comes to the enthusasim for your kids and your age it should be the same as when they were born till long after they are grown to see them succeed in life. Alot of parents don't race cause they want to see there kids do things they didn't have a chance to do. I for one would give up my ride to see my kids race and to see the enjoyment that they would get from a racing community.
Sorry I didn't mean to ramble like that, its just racing is part of me and has been since I was a kid. So if we decide to do the 2 stroke nationals thats cool, I'm just trying to look further to the future of our club.
Here's an Idea why don't we do 2 stroke 09 and 4 stroke 2010, this way we have things rolling for both directions.
BedRock Racing #22
EMP Member
Semper Fi
Dave Wells

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for my ramble, Ben and I wouldn't be there if we didn't enjoy it. It's all Ben talks about. I would have done anything to race when I was a kid. That's where I need to be very careful; is it me reliving my childhood or is it something Ben truly wants? I used to drag race on South "U" back in the 70's. I've had a couple rides in a sort of sprint car many years ago, my dad raced midgets in Illinois and Indiana back in the day. It's in our blood. I just want Ben to have balance in the beginning and let him have a buffet of choice as he grows up. As for me, "It's a shame youth is wasted on the young".
karter43

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by karter43 on Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
karter43

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great turn out.

Last edited by karter43 on Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
HMS30

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this topic has gotten way off of the original post, but I'd like to chime in with a little of our background:

I loved racing growing up. I lived in rural Colorado. My grandpa built go-karts and mini-bikes for us to race around on in a field track that he carved out for us. We'd spend hours each day out there. My mom was completely against us racing and constantly discouraged us from pursuing it. We used to go to a 1/4 mile dirt track to watch our neighbor race stock cars every Saturday night. One night, his car flipped over the wall and the driver was killed. We thought it was our neighbor, but somebody else had been driving it. Either way, we stopped going very often after that.

It didn't kill my passion, but there was no way we'd get an opportunity to race after my mom saw that. My parents pushed me towards the "safe" sports like baseball, football, and basketball. (I lost track how many serious injuries I received playing those sports.)

Fast forward to my late 20's, now living in Tucson, and four kids later....My oldest son always loved racing....he'd play with his hotwheels for hours. We discovered a short track just down the road from us and started attending every Saturday night. One night the kart club was doing a display. We then started going to their races every Friday night they raced.

I had always coached my kids in baseball, football, and soccer, just so I could be involved. I also played baseball and softball and my kids were always with me in the dugout and enjoyed warming up with me on the field. As we checked out karting, we found a sport where the whole family could be involved. All the dads talked about the bond they had with their kids.

When my son started asking if he could race, he also said he wanted me to race too, since I never got a chance to do it. The more I thought about it, the more I thought it was a good idea. It would give me a chance to learn how to do it so I could teach him. It would also prevent me from living vicariously through him, which I saw so many fathers doing both on the playing field and at the track. It would give him a chance to just enjoy the sport.

We made the leap and soon learned how much there was to learn. As our rookie season progressed, I was so greatful that I was also racing. It allowed me to teach him what I did to overcome the steep learning curve. It also allowed me to use my kart as a test kart on set-up changes. With that, we developed a pretty good knowledge base on how to adjust to the track.

The next year, we decied to let my son be my crew chief. He made all adjustment decisions---both at the track and in the garage. It took us both a while, but by August I started running up front. That confidence made his feedback that much better and he also started running better. I can attribute every win I have to a big change that he made in my set-up. I questioned it each time, but he said "trust me!"

It is amazing how much this 11 year old knows about kart set-up now. It's a real life on-going science fair project for him.

He also was excited to have his little brother start driving a year earlier than he started. Adding a third kart with a rookie 8 year old has made it more difficult, but as the season has progressed it has gotten easier.

Both boys tear down their karts after each race, clean them, and put them back together. It has really made them more responsible in all aspects of life. I love the time the 3 of us spend in the garage and at the track.

Long story short, I would encourage any dad (or mom) that can afford it to race with your sons or daughters. What you learn is eye opening, and it takes the pressure off of them. It is also a good opportunity for them to learn more about racing and the crew chief side of the table.

What we've experienced the past 2 1/2 years has made it the best years of my life. I'd have a hard time getting back into the team sports after all the good times we've had racing.
Crew Chief Jr 2 Kart #18
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albuquerque Speedway Karting Forum Index -> IKF/Local Informational Posts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: